Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Saved my life

When I was arrested again, I feared I was not going to be so lucky. I was railroaded into the trial that, obviously, was completely one sided. With the three Jacques as judges, and Madam Defarge controlling them, I figured that there was no chance for me to be free, and I was right. I was found guilty and sentenced to death. I sat waiting in my cold cell, hearing only the haunted voices of other prisoners, and the chiming of a bell. With nothing to do but sit and wait, I reflected on my past life, knowing that it didn’t have much time. Sooner or later I knew that the time would come for the guard to lead me out into the courtyard to the guillotine. But rather than a guard coming to my cell, it was John Basard with a Sydney Carton. He drugged me, and gods bless his heart, switched places with me. He once told Lucie that he would to anything he could do to help her. Now, I don’t believe that he actually would have done anything to help me live to keep my wife and child safe, but he made the ultimate sacrifice and switched places with me. Neither of us could watch the execution, but we will never forget his sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment