Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Letter to me

I had heard that a letter had been given to Mr. Lorry, but my heart lurched when I discovered who it was for, me, but it was not addressed in my current name. Nobody in England knows that I was indeed a member of the Evrémonde family. I did everything I could to convince Mr. Lorry that he was to old to go on the trip to Paris, to find a person he already knew, but didn’t know it. I eventually managed to convince Mr. Lorry that I was an acquaintance of Evrémonde, and that the letter would be safe with me. After a conversation, Mr. Lorry folded and handed me the letter. When I was able to read it, I opened it. The letter was from Gabelle. I read further and discovered that he had been imprisoned, and that he was begging the new marquis, which is me, for help. I debated inside the pro’s and con’s of helping. I finally decided that I should go to help. When I arrived, I was arrested and imprisoned for leaving France. That means that I was unable to help Gabelle, leaving me wondering just what form of insane logic I used to talk myself into going back to France.

No comments:

Post a Comment